Position: Electronics Technician
Location: Plattsburgh, NY
Rate: $21/hr on W2
Safety: Demonstrates awareness of safety requirements in assigned work areas and wears appropriate PPE for assigned work as well as proper application of Lockout/Tagout procedures. Contributes to continuous improvement of safety culture in work areas.
Quality: Detail oriented in testing/troubleshooting to determine root cause of failures so repaired units function properly. Performs this work with minimal oversight. Offers suggestions for defect prevention to supervisors and suggestions for product improvement to design or manufacturing engineering.
Physical: Ability to move large units on carts (with or without assistance depending on size) as well as perform assembly/troubleshooting procedures in/around these units.
Production: Direct participation in the construction, assembly, maintenance and testing of electrical systems and electrical components as used in equipment for transit vehicles. Adheres to standard work. Must have computer skills and basic knowledge of Microsoft office for testing the units. Performs this work without oversight. Able to troubleshoot and repair units. Capable of performing in an Assembly Technician role, as needed.
Verification: Completes testing and final inspection tasks to ensure product conformance for two or more product lines. Performs this work without supervision. Able to troubleshoot after test failure.
Continuous Improvement: Completes work in compliance with established standards, including process conformance and standard cycle time. Offers setup or cycle time improvement suggestions.
Training: Accepts training and coaching from supervision. Able to train employees in most tasks.
Environment: Participates in environmentally-appropriate workplace maintenance habits, including 5S. Leads 5S implementation in cooperation with supervisors.
Job Skills Required
- Advanced experience in the assembly and testing of electronic components within two or more product lines. Relevant transit-vehicle systems may include high voltage power conversion, passenger access controls, and HVAC controls.
- Compliance with the Company’s safety, environmental and personal growth standards.
- Must be able to read drawings, wiring diagrams, electrical and electronic schematics to assemble and wire simple electrical assemblies.
- Process owner for functional testing of completed high voltage power conversion devices, which includes test setup, test oversight, troubleshooting in the event of failure, and defect prevention based on analysis of test results.
- Troubleshooting and failure validation of complex electrical and electronic devices at board- level and component-level.
- Demonstrated ability to address a wide variety of assembly problems independently and effectively.
- Must possess troubleshooting skills; to be able to troubleshoot without assistance.
- Must demonstrate the capability to train others in all Electronics Technician tasks.
- General dexterity and proficiency in handling complex assembly tasks.
- Capability to use hand tools safely. Capability to operate power tools safely, as assigned.
- Physical performance of tasks as determined by supervisor.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Products.
- Must be detailed oriented.
- Experience with measurement and diagnostic tools used to test and modify electronic components.
- Ability to read to read and understand electrical, power and control diagrams; as well as circuit board schematics and logic diagrams.
- Demonstrated ability to identify issues and actively participates in developing and implementing solutions.
- Performs independent work of appropriate quality on two or more products.
- Demonstrated the ability to quickly learn a new manufacturing process or product line.
- Associate’s degree in electronic or technical related field.
- 2 – 5 years of experience in electronics is required.
- Experience in power electronics, industrial control and power supply systems is required.
- Experience and proficiency in the use of electronic meters and test equipment.
- Experience in soldering, desoldering and reworking circuit boards preferred.
- Additional technical certifications are preferred.
- At least one Soldering certificate (IPC 7711/7721, IPC 610, IPC 600, J-STD001) is preferred.